Write about silence…
When do I
hear feel silence? Never
Right now I am sitting on my couch. Mercy is asleep. Even my cat, Gidget, is asleep on my feet. Here are the sounds in the background:
- TV — Moonstruck
- The refrigerator — I really need to have the management look at it. I’ve never had a fridge that loud.
- Some drip inside a pipe — I think it is from the sink of my upstairs neighbor, as it drains down the pipes through my walls.
- Click, Click, click — typing
- Purrrrr — Gidget has a loud motor, and just started hiccuping
- Slam — We only hear the next door neighbor when they come and go.
- Thump, thump, thump — The Pit Bull upstairs loves to tap his tail on the floor.
- The whir of the fan on my laptop
Definitely not silence.
My mom pops into my head. She’s been hearing impaired for my whole life and worn hearing aids since I was 5. Would she have heard all the same things that I do right now? The simple answer is no. She doesn’t here all the background noises that I hear. And if she was up late with her hearing aids out, she would hear nothing, not even the clicks of the keyboard.
Since Mercy hasn’t been feeling well today, she has been in bed most of the day. So besides one phone call from my sister, I haven’t talked much today. This doesn’t mean that I have considered today a silent day.
To me silence is more than not speaking. I consider silence to be turning everything off and being one with the world/earth.
when I think of the meaning of silence I am reminded of a day in my childhood.
I was probably about 10 or 11. My siblings and I were spending the week/weekend at my grandmother’s. If it was daylight and not raining we needed to be outside. I don’t remember what my brother and sister were doing but I was sitting in the grass. Part of me remembers it being some sort of project for school. I was watching the activity in one square yard of the lawn. I had a notepad and was recording everything that was happening in that tiny ecosystem. I don’t remember what I saw, just that everything else in the world disappeared except that one square yard.
That was silence and it was beautiful.
This was a Weekly Writing Challenge
Other great responses:
- Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence | MAGGIE’S BLOG
- Heightened Senses | Reality to Randomness
- Screaming in Silence | Reaching for the Stars
- Silence | Grilled Cheese (& Other Things That Make My World Go ‘Round)
- Tears over Gravlax | Not the Family Business!
- Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence « Mama Bear Musings
- The sound of silence | sixmonthsinaweek
- The sound of silence: | D Lonely Stoner
- Sound of Silence | Musings of Shawn
- The sound of silence | all my likes
- My Brother and the Silence | jen groeber: mama art
- Mute | MightWar
- Letters from the Silence – 20th February, 2014 | Wired With Words
- The Sound of Screaming Silence | anniethinksabout
- The Last Minority | Deliberating Dave
- Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence | medicinalmeadows
- In Retrospect, a Response to a Poem I Wrote as a Teen | The Positivity Project
- Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence | Home that We Built
- This is Silence | abundance in the boondocks
- ” “ | tabularin0a
- The Cruel Silence. | Abstractions of Life
- Within the Sounds of Silence ~ Weekly Writing Challenge | DCTdesigns Creative Canvas
- The Sound of Silence | DragonReader
- The Strength of the Quiet Moment | Songs Of Support
- Thought Connections | “Aspernauts” and other musings…
- The Sound of Silence | Life Sans God
- It’s Noisy Being Human | noontimethoughts
- meeting place | yi-ching lin photography
- » Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence | Chiquitita
- Void | The Salt
- Am I A Jedi? Oprah, Chopra, and Yoda Weigh In | a contract
- The Sound of Silence – Ramblings from the Swamp
- Silencing – Rose Glace’s Blog
- The language of silence | Emovere
- A Cacophony of Silence | A Wild One Within
- Unsaid | Silver.Boox
- my tug-of-war with SILENCE | YES i WONDER…
- Breaking His Silence | Focal Breeze
- The Countdown | Omnithings
- The Sound of Silence – a short story | Thingiemajingie
- Thoughts on Sarajevo | roastbeefandrakija
- Enter Silence | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Rarity of Quiet | Corned Beef Hashtag
- Gray silence | Stories from aside
- School Vacation Routine for Parents | A Fit and Focused Future
- DP Weekly Writing Challenge: Silence | Phylor’s Blog
- On the art of better living | soulfoood
- DP challenge: silence | shape shifting
- Orion 83 – Part 5 – The Silence | L5GN
- the (not always so) sweet sound of silence | serene interior designs
- Silence | The Wonder of Yarrow House
- I DROVE IN SILENCE | I’m How Old?!
- Mute | Of love, life and such magic
- The Wait Of Silence | Wise Blood
- Searching for Silence | Dance With Madness
- Man-Made | martha0stout
- Scenes From the Lobby | pryorities
- Adjustment Periods Are THE WORST… | Grilled Cheese (& Other Things That Make My World Go ‘Round)
- The Sound of Silence on the Set on Mt. Tamalpais (Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence) | The San Francisco Scene–Seen!
- Sounds of Silence | bethanyah
- Dawn’s Silence #poetry #photography | Moondustwriter’s Blog
- The Silent Treatment | fingerprintwriting
- Silence of my home | The Word Trance
- Is it Really Golden? | Testing the Strength I Have
- Hue Of Silence | Views Splash!
- Riding Accident – A response to wordpress “silence” writing challenge | pocketfulofrocks
- Weekly Writing Challenge: The Sound of Silence | Moonlight Reflections
- Of Gods and Men | Alyeska-Arts
- Tune of Silence | dandelionsinwind
- Silence is Deafening | mary’s blog
- The Sound Of Silence | remindyourmind