Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance
I love the sound of a record. MP3’s, CD’s, and tapes do not have the same qualities as a record. Growing up we always had a record player.
My parents would dance to their records often. Which inspired me and my siblings to dance to these records. I remember being taught to dance by my dad, brother, sister, and even babysitters. Music was a very big part of our lives.
We danced less as we moved to tapes and CD’s. Was it because of the medium? Probably not. We got older, our schedules got busier.
But my dancing did not stop.
When middle school came around, I got to go to my first dance. It was held in the school cafeteria one evening. One student was the DJ, spinning 45’s all night. We mainly danced in big circles, with more adventurous students moving to the center to showcase their dancing. I think I went into the middle once. Then there were slow dances. Most slow songs I had a dance partner for. Our class was close-knit, so even though I didn’t have a romantic attachment to anyone, I still got asked to dance many times.
Then there were high school dances. My first high school had actual sock hops, since the dances were held in the main gym and no one wanted the floor marked up. So at the entrance of the gym there sat hundreds of shoes. I find this funny because we all spent lots of time deciding what shoes to wear to the dance. We were only allowed to wear shoes at the Winter Formal, since it was in the girls gym.
Half way through my freshman year, we moved. At my new high school we were back in the cafeteria for dances and there were more cliques at the dances and it was harder to get a slow dance partner, but we did get to wear shoes.
In college, in New Orleans, I got to dance at bars with liquid courage. I really didn’t need to alcohol to dance. Nothing like dancing in a club on Bourbon Street regularly.
This all eventually lead to meeting Mercy. After a rough breakup, I started clubbing with friends. At least 5 days a week I would go out drinking and dancing. Even if my friends weren’t dancing, I was. One night a friend introduced me to his roommate, Mercy. We hit it off and talked the entire night. She was in a relationship, but I wasn’t really looking at the time anyway. The next few nights we danced a lot. She got scared away because she thought that I wanted it to go somewhere. Even though I was attracted to her and really enjoyed her company, I really just wanted more friends and dance partners. We didn’t hang out anymore, but we still would see each other periodically due to mutual friends.
Almost a year later, Mercy called me at work. It was common knowledge that I worked at a popular local store. We went out that next Sat, saw a favorite local band’s final performance and we danced.
- of dancing with strange men | Anawnimiss
- Throwback Thursday | Rima Hassan
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance-Psychology Behind Moving Our Body | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Under the Monkey Tree
- Dancers in the Barren | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Let’s Dance! Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- DP Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Sabethville
- Dancing On The Beach | The Ambitious Drifter
- Let’s Get Our Legs Bruised | Knowledge Addiction
- Flamenco | Foto Challenge
- Daily Prompt – Let’s Dance | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Songs for Me and Only Me | Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | likereadingontrains
- Tip and The Daily Prompt: Mom Taught Me The Chaleston | The Jittery Goat
- in concert, there ought | y
- annie | yi-ching lin photography
- Dancing Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- …put on your red shoes and dance the blues | thoughtsofrkh
- Ring My Bell | Greg Urbano
- Full speed ahead | Crap I Blog About
- My Two Left Feet
- 269. Lord of the Dance | Barely Right of Center
- Cadence | La Gatita Oscura
- Put The Big Floppy Hat Down And Dance | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Jive… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Not Dancing | Maria For Real
- Daily Prompt: Dance | EmeraldCity
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- WordPress daily prompt: Let’s Dance | I solemnly swear i am upto no good!
- Solace | Prose of the Frequently Amused
- Dance On! | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: Being a Dancer! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Daily Prompt: An Ode to Dancing Memories | melanielynngriffin
- Broken Dreams? | Tale of Two Tomatoes
- DP: Let’s Dance – As the End Draws Near | aliabbasali
- DANCING PAINTED PONIES | SERENDIPITY
- Happy 30th Birthday, Daddy! | Beez Giftz
- Dance on and on and on and on | Emotional Fitness
- In the Mood | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Movement | The Land Slide Photography
- Memories of Dancing | Flowers and Breezes
- Daring to Dance in the Early Days | This Is Real Life
- Make them laugh | Life is great
- I Love You All! | Views Splash!
- Yellow Shirts and the Hokey-Pokey | …Then Came Dance
- Dancing in the Kitchen | Monica’s Musings
- Daily Prompt: Dance | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | kimmcnulty
- Dancing with Dreams | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- I’ve Danced and Once! | Views Splash!
- Chubby Cheeks & Chubby Checker | bemuzin
- On the Road to Regionals… Literally! | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Alley Cat | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Daily Prompt: Doing the Hustle | Morrighan’s Muse
- Dance to the rhythm in your heart | sunny side dreamers
- Dance: Daily Post | Destino
- Dance your Dreams Out | Nerd.Laugh.Love
- Dance Dance Baybee!! | My pitter patter wordfaLL 🙂
- Feb Photo Challenge 27 | Queenie
- Waltzing Mildred | Musings of a Soul Eclectic
- LET’S DANCE! | Francine In Retirement
- Dancing With Girls! | My Musings | WANGSGARD.COM
- dancing days | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Good Old Mountain Music | Menimèse Creare
- Movement- Daily Prompt | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance |
- You Lost WHAT On The Dance Floor?! | I AGREE with you but…
- Dancing On My Own… | Cabernet In The Dark
- The Lament | Blue Loft
- Let’s dance | Fictionalism
- … Remember that scene in Hitch? | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life? | Mirth and Motivation
- DP: Movement | An old fart back in school
- My Earliest Memories of Dance | Woven Stars & Chocolate Bars
- Let’s Dance | An Accountant and a Mum
- Daily Prompt – Movement – Gracious |
- A Dancer’s Life Cycle | The Book of Shayne
- The Blog Farm | Motivation: What Should I Do With My Life?
- When Bowie Asks You to Dance, You Dance! | snippets and words
- Dance Dance Revolution | meg lago
- Daily Prompt: Dance Dance Dance | Life’s So Sweet
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | Yowza, Here We Go!
- The next big thing | Trucker Turning Write
- Move | fifty5words
- Daily Prompt: Movement | That Montreal Girl
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance – Dancin’ with Myself | SA:ME (사메)
- Lawrence Welk and the Potion of Dance
- My DJ Dance Jukebox from Heaven | Kosher Adobo
- b-girl | peacefulblessedstar
- Halloween Dance 1979 | 365 Days of Thank You
- MOVEMENT: A Mighty Move! | The Christian Gazette
- What are your earliest and fondest memories of dance? | askgrampa
- Dance Like Nobody’s Watching | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Just Keep Your Head Above | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Doing the Dance (knowing when to step forward and when to step back) | Love, Support, Educate, Advocate, Accept…
- Tradition | Wanderlein
- Memories of Dancing | Mind of a Lunatic