Do you believe in fate or do you believe you can control your own destiny?
Simply answer? Yes.
But wait there were two options, how can I answer yes?
Because I’m a Pisces through and through. I almost always have at least two answers to the same question.
What do I want for dinner? Sushi! No. Steak! No. Tofu Pad Thai! No!
Except when I have only one answer…like when teaching Math. Although even then, I may give two different ways of looking at the problem.
I believe that I can make my own choices, but that those choices may be in a plot line that I don’t know about. So how can I just make one choice? How will that effect/affect the rest of my life. (I will never use those words correctly, so I’ll give you the choice of which you’d rather read.)
I guess I really believe that I am in a Choose Your Own Adventure. I know that the same characters will be in my adventure. They have always felt a part of my life, even on the first day we met. We may change some side characters a little. But when it comes down to it, the choices that I make will have a specific result that some may have already predicted.
It’s hard to come up with examples of life where I know this to be true for me. Have you ever procrastinated so long on some action for no reason at all and then when you finally completed that action some other benefit resulted that you had not foreseen?
So here’s an example. Last April, after leaving the hospital and moving to a nursing home to continue rehabilitation, Mercy still wasn’t able to walk. Due to complicated reasons, Mercy had not been to a general physician in years and it was unclear who should be prescribing her different drugs while she was in the nursing home. We had not contacted her pain specialist while she was in the hospital, since the narcotics were one of the reasons her body had shut down. The doctors from the hospital could not prescribe her anything after she left the hospital. So a week after leaving the hospital no one would sign off on any pain meds. For some reason, my brain didn’t remind me that Mercy had a pain specialist who would gladly prescribe her meds. Instead we took an ambulance ride back to the hospital, at the nursing home’s suggestion, so that the hospital would be forced to do something. We had little head way in the pain department (they gave her a week script), but in the process of the E.R. visit Mercy yawned. When she yawned, she got a sharp pain below her shoulder-blade. This was new and the doc was concerned, so Mercy was sent off to the CT scan. Come to find out she had developed a Pulmonary Embolism, which would not have been found had we called her pain doc for her pain pills.
As I am sitting here, I can think of many more examples, but I don’t need to share them because I’m not trying to change your beliefs. For me, I have the ability to make choices, but sometimes something higher keeps me from making that choice until the right situation lines up.
So I guess, I make my own destiny with a little help/hinderance from Fate.
- THE JOYS OF SPINSTERHOOD aka The Spinsterhood of the Travelling Bridesmaid | She Writes
- SOCIETY’S CREATION: BEAUTY STANDARDS | She Writes
- Impressions of poverty | AS I PLEASE
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera- Why we don’t achieve our goals | Journeyman
- It’s Your Choice | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Is it a destiny I control or fate or a bit of both? | Purplesus’ Blog
- Daily Prompt…. Que Sera Sera? | The Ambitious Drifter
- We are what we are | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- “Que Sera Sera” – A poem | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Taking Control – Character’s Choices Shape Stories, Not Fate | My Little Avalon
- Invictus? I think not…. | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- destiny | yi-ching lin photography
- Life of Positivity | Views Splash!
- DP Daily Prompt: Qeu Sera Sera | Sabethville
- on a scale from walking | y
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera « cognitive reflection
- Destiny | swiggityswag
- [M.M.X.I.V. 85] מה יהיה יהיה (post is in English) | Never A Worry
- Anthem of the oppressed | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Danube | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Who protects me? | wisskko’s blog
- In Search of the Star: A Filipino Catholic from Saudi Meets an American Jew from Bosotn | Kosher Adobo
- Daily prompt: Que sera sera | I really just pretend to know stuff
- This Too Shall End | Losing It
- Daily Prompt: Que Pawera Pawera | Love your dog
- Que Sera Sera? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Zig-Zag « Averil Dean
- Fate had naff-all to do with that. And OMG but T2 was freaking awesome… | thoughtsofrkh
- Zombie Planes and Fate: Driving My Life with Purpose « psychologistmimi
- Fate, Faith and Excuses (Or the Man With the Funny Hat) | jigokucho
- Choose, but Choose Wisely | Green Embers
- I Had BEST See A Return On My Investment!!!! | Because It Calms My Nerves:
- Finding No Such As ‘Fate’ | Awake & Dreaming
- Daily Prompt: Fate vs. Free Will | Raevenly Writes
- “Kay who, who?” | Relax
- We do have choice | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Call it what you will | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Whatever Will Be | Flowers and Breezes
- Fate, Destiny, Kismet – Love, Sex & Poetry (Daily Prompt – Que Sera Sera) | Linda Long Writes!
- of nasty things, like sex and masturbation | Anawnimiss
- God And Fish and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- Fate or Destiny? | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Basically Beyond Basic
- What ever wil be will be (if we will it to be) | Move Away From Here
- Whatever will be will be | Willow’s Corner
- Old Soul: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Fated for Happiness | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Ramblings of A Nonsensical Nerd
- What Will be, Will be? | Cheri Speak
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera « Mama Bear Musings
- Waiting for the rain | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Fate Chance Luck | Real Life Co.
- “Just Do It” But Hope for A Little Bit of Luck | Parents Are People Too
- Un Poco (a little) | djgarcia94
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | My Atheist Blog
- DAILY PROMPT: Que Sera Sera, Siempre por Siempre | Fit 4 Life, LLC
- I Control My Life | Knowledge Addiction
- This Post Comes with a Warning Label . . . | janeyinmersin
- the way you do the things you do | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Que Sera Sera | manmadeoceans
- You can’t sit forever on destiny’s safe little shelf – | The Flavored Word
- Destiny? | Tea & Paper
- Daily Prompt: March 26 | Balmy Life
- Que Sera Sera | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- I Believe in Resillence….(WP Daily Prompt) | Daily Observations
- Everything Has Changed | A Good One
- Textured Captures: Sand & Stone | LenzExperiments
- when you leave, i imagine | y
- Fate or Destiny…Can It Be Controlled? | Our Baby Dreams
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera – I Quit My Job | A Note From Jenn
- Daily Prompt: Time Can’t Be Rewritten | Blackbird’s Nest
- Daily Prompt: Passenger Seat | Cabernet In The Dark
- Fated? | Kate Murray
- I control my destiny | Asianchemnerd
- Daily Prompt: Being Destined! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Moments of Fate | A.C. Melody
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | hlpetersen
- Luck lurks | Emotional Fitness
- Que Sera Sera (Daily Prompt) | Roving Bess
- Que Sera Sera | fromdublintoparis
- Old Faces | Writing and Works
- Who’s that knocking on the door? | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- My Choices | My Author-itis
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Just Be V
- The illusion of Control | Living with Post Concussion Syndrome
- I’m a Freebird | Nodus Tollens
- Daily Prompt: Que sera, sera | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- When (Fate/Destiny, Choose One) Hands You Lemons… | by LRose
- A Few of My Favorite Things…. | Coffee Crumbs