Are you full of confidence or have you ever suffered from Impostor Syndrome? Tell us all about it.
Just like in my belief in destiny/fate, my answers are always complicated. Nothing is ever black and white. I am halfway an impostor and half way full of confidence.
Ways that I show suffering from Impostor Syndrome:
- I have known how to read music since grade school and have sung just as long. (See We Got the Beat) So why was I so surprised during my first group piano class, when I flew through the lessons and was playing songs faster than others? I had always said that I would never be able to play the piano because of my small doll-like hands…what a crock.
I also show my confidence:
- I can walk into a classroom with no notes and only a cursory glance at the topic of the day and lecture with no butterflies in my stomach. Those classes review me as being extremely prepared and knowledgeable. I really don’t feel like I need many notes, only examples of problems to work out. I know the math backwards and forwards.
- I thought I was nervous when I stood up to sing that first karaoke song earlier this month. But it wasn’t because I didn’t think I’d be good enough. I realized later that I was nervous because I wanted to pick a song that would make everyone else to know I was more than good enough.
So I guess I’m confident, cocky, a pretender, and some times I even have some humility.
- Anawnimiss’s stops pretending with of hope
- Journeyman is finding his self-worth
- Jared learns he has Impostor Syndrome
- My Little Avaon finds courage
- Sabethville has confidence
- Perspectives on life, universe and everything talks about Shame
- Love your dog gives us a pet’s perspective on pretending
- The Ambitious Drifter tells us we’re all Confident Impostors
- She writes about labels and their misuse by the narrow-minded
- Samir is no longer a ‘fraidy cat
- Youer than you tries not to doubt
- Kosher Adobo talks about the dangers of disappearing
- melisuhhsmiles boosts confidence
- The Zombies Ate My Brains has learned to see red flags